TabletopWelt

[Beyond the Gates of Antares] Allgemeines und Treff

Empfohlene Beiträge

Der Kickstarter zu Beyond the Gates of Antares von Dark Space Corp ist online:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2037958218/beyond-the-gates-of-antares

Hier die Homepage der Firma: http://www.darkspacecorp.com/

Interessant ist, dass das Spiel bisher noch in sehr groben Zügen vorliegt. Es gibt einen Hintergrund, erste Miniaturendesigns und frühe Regeln. Alles weitere soll zusammen mit der Spieler Community entwickelt werden. Es wird sehr interessant sein zu sehen, ob und wie diese Herangehensweise funktionieren wird.

Das Spiel soll für alle Mitspieler ständig herausfordernd sein, also auch Aktionen im gegnerischen Zug ermöglichen. Auch hier wieder spannend, was das wohl bedeutet, kennt man doch mittlerweile Ähnliches z.B. von Infinity.

Pro Seite sollen ca. 50 Modelle zum Einsatz kommen, unter denen sich auch Kampfmaschinen und Charaktere befinden. Eine gute Größe, wie ich finde. Noch kein Mass-System, aber auch kein Skirmisher.

Wer steckt dahinter?

Rick Priestley ist mit an Board, der den Erfolg der Games Workshop Systeme mit prägte, sowie John Stallard, einer der Geschäftsführer von Warlord Games und ebenfalls ehemaliger GW Mitarbeiter (27 Jahre! in denen er u.a. der Geschäftsführer für GW USA war). Ein sehr potentes Duo, das weiß was es macht. Unterstützt werdem die beiden bei Dark Space Corp durch Rik Alexander, Spieleentwickler und Produzent aus der PC- und Videospielbranche (Quelle: brueckenkopf.de).

300.000 Pfund als Ziel ist aber mal ne Ansage. Das ist schon sehr selbstbewusst gewählt. Das erste Stretch Goal gibt es damit bei 325.000,-.

Ich bin auf Eure Meinung zum Kickstarter, dem Spiel und den weiterem Verlauf der Kampagne bei diesen Rahmenbedingungen gespannt.

bearbeitet von schusta1328

Mein P250 2018/19 Maltherapie

Mein Sammelthread - Eden, Malifaux, Bushido, Da Clash!, MERCS, M&T, Guildball, 54mm

Das Münchner P3: 1. Teil - 2. Teil - 3. Teil - 4. Teil - 5. Teil

Hab mal das wichtigste noch zusammengetragen:

@Schusta

Da du ja Nachbar bist.... wenn der KS erfolgreich ist und du mitmachst können wir uns ja auf ein Match treffen ;).

web_logo.jpg

Rick Pristley stellt sein neues SF-Spiel vor und heute Nacht ist der Kickstarter dazu online gegangen:

Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2037958218/beyond-the-gates-of-antares

Kurz zusammengefasst:

> Skalierbares W10 System dass sich für Skirmish-TT, Mass-TT und RPG skalieren lässt.

> Eher Hard-SF als Space Gothik, weiterentwickelte Menschheit die sich in verschiedene Entwicklungsäste aufgespalten hat, Drohnen, aber auch Aliens.

> Spielerschaft wird an der Entwicklung teilweise beteiligt.

> Events/Kampagnen beeinflussen die Entwicklung des Spiels (also Storyentwicklung, erscheinende Miniaturen/Völker).

> Backer in Alpha- und Beta-Phase involviert. Hardcover-Buch erscheint dann gegen Dezember.

> Sehr gute Modelleure, Maler, Regeldesigner aus der Branche involviert.

> Beim Kickstarter kann man Armeen als Credits wählen, d.h. man kann sich nach dem Ende des Kickstarters seine Armee zusammenstellen wie man will und muss nicht vorgegebene Packs nehmen.

Erstes Goal: 300.000 Pfund

Aktueller Stand: knapp 17.500 Pfund

Verbliebene Tage: 58

Kommende Stretchgoals:

Stretch Goal 1 – We have lift off! - £325,000

Add 10 Credits to Dark Energy

Add 20 Credits to Feeder

Stretch Goal 2 – G-Force Face - £350,000

Add 10 Credits to Dark Energy

Add 20 Credits to Feeder

Zur Zeit ist Feeder einer der besten Deals:

2bdf7de053f4ae4929ee8a5f82faa25b_large.png?1356706713

Mal sehen, wie sehr man daran mitgestalten kann. Sowas wollte ich schon immer mal machen.

Die Größe erscheint mir auch recht angenehm. Mit verschiedenen Modellarten usw. Stelle mir auch tolle Geländeinteraktion vor. Sehr inspirierend!

'Tug Hood's snake till he shrieks,' the sapper said. 'Drown the damned Queen of Dreams in her own damned pool. [...]

No, you won't believe anything I say.'

Fiddler, Steven Erikson: The Bonehunters

Für mich werden es die Modelle entscheiden, ob ich da was anstarten werden. Also, erstmal dranbleiben und beobachten. :look:

DER GRILLBLAG - eine INSTITUTION

"Die Qualitäten des Blags tummeln sich nicht an der Oberfläche, springen einem nicht sofort ins Gesicht. Das tut Avantgarde nie." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

This is the first of our Antarean Universe content releases, and first up are the Panhumans, also known as Pans.

Humans spread throughout Antarean space during a past time so ancient that almost nothing of that story is now known. Galactic civilisation has risen and fallen many time in the interim, torn apart by destructive wars, near-obliterated by natural catastrophes, and submerged beneath waves of alien invasion. The current era is the Seventh Age – the Age of the species we know as NuHu – NuHumans. But the NuHu are just one of many millions of different human species that have evolved since the time of pre-spacefaring humans. All of these human species are collectively panhumans. Whilst this means that NuHu and the primitive Revers are also panhumans, the name Panhumans – or just Pans - is most commonly used to describe all those other human descended species. Of course, individual species wouldn't necessarily identify themselves as Pans; they would think of themselves as belonging to a particular world or a particular species of Panhuman, for example the squamous Boramites originally from the Boram Asteroid mines of Gar’Xu, who have now spread throughout many of the mining colonies of the Spill.

Most kinds of Pans are the inhabitants of a specific home world – the world where they originated or a world that they subsequently settled and occupied. Often a species will be adapted to live on that world, able to bear high or low gravity, different atmospheres, extreme temperatures, and dangerous levels of radiation. These adaptations are only partly a result of natural selection. They were mostly initiated by means of transgenic engineering in the distant past, as is evident from the genetic structure of Panhumans today. Pans display a far wider variety of form and adaptations than would be possible with the basic human genome. Some species are undoubtedly the remnants of military experiments to create super-soldiers, though the wars that they were designed to fight are long forgotten. Others may have been engineered to resist radiation or survive in hostile environments far different from those they now inhabit. Many have evolved unexpected traits thanks to instability in their underlying transgenic mutations, creating creatures that are hardly recognisably human at all. Some of these species are mere misshapen brutes, degraded creatures of limited intelligence, the victims of ancient bioengineering projects that ultimately failed.

There are so many different Panhuman species in the Spill that spacecraft, fighting companies, freebooters and most space faring groups typically contain a fair mix. The appearance of space faring humans varies so much that people are accepted for what they are regardless of their appearance. As Antarean space includes a fair number of genuinely alien species, people are used to seeing all kinds of body forms, colours of skin and fur, and varieties of limbs and sensory organs. Some isolate worlds of the ExCon are less tolerant of other Panhuman or alien species. A few, such as the warlike Gwar, are openly antagonistic to all other species, regarding Gwar, the Gwar home world, and Gwar culture as sacred expressions of a cosmic divinity. Such religious or socially driven isolationism is not uncommon in the worlds of the broader Spill, but this kind of extreme parochialism is practically impossible within the Concord or Isorian Shard.

Below you can see some early concepts we've done as we start to explore the various forms Pans can take.

panhuman_pansimina_concepts_01.png

Der Kickstarter hat bereits knapp 40.000 am zweiten Tag erreicht.

Details zum eigentlichen Spiel:

We've played games so far with up to forty models a side - divided into about eight units each - and the system works well at that size. The aim is to create a game that has the dynamic of a raid, or a localised action, or maybe an encounter betwen two fighting contingents. I'm thinking of those contingents as 'companies' but the way the background works they are really semi-independant fighting bands of about 30 individuals plus a certain amount of supporting kit - such as heavy weapons and vehicles. I imagine that once we have the opportunity we'll be playing some bigger game to make sure they flow smoothly - but the scope of the conflicts is along those lines.

Ein Blick auf die Balance:

Today's update is all about Balance, as there have been a fair few of you wondering about how we'll manage this within our Real-Time Dynamic Gaming Universe. So from the man himself:

MAINTAINING BALANCE IN A CONSTANTLY EVOLVING UNIVERSE

When it comes to realising our dream of a real-time games universe there are many things to consider– and naturally keeping a balance within the different factions is one of them. What happens if one faction becomes overwhelmingly powerful? Won’t the winner just grab all the best kit and quickly become unassailable? Questions along these lines have popped up on several forums as well as on our own DSC forum where I have posted on the subject of course. Well – I’m a little surprised that ‘game balance’ should excite folks quite so much – what about dynamic game play? What about player interaction? What about the internal tension of the game with those soaring highs and crashing lows? Then there’s narrative content, adventure, stories of battles and daring do! Sure game balance is important because a game has to be a game and not a foregone conclusion – but as a designer I know that making a fair and balanced game is achievable – at least within reasonable limits. Making a great game – making an exciting game – a game that compels – which invites innumerable strategies and is worth the hours and thought that players put into it – that is the challenge!

But balance it is :) Balance between the factions is the matter at hand – how to make sure that the universe evolves in a fashion that enables all the factions to continue to take part in a way that is rewarding and ultimately fair. Well, the chief tool that lies to hand (stop sniggering at the back) is the humble points value – or credit limit – call it what you will. Any material upgrades that become available will have a game value – and needless to say the more potent an upgrade is the more it is worth, and in games fought to a standard points total this will obviously change the make-up of a force without necessarily making it better. It gives a different option – opens up a dependent tactic in some cases – or it improves one aspect of the force but only at the cost of surrendering something else. So, regardless of what new kit we decide to introduce, there’s no reason for it to unbalance the game.

There is another good reason why new kit won’t unbalance actual play – and I blush to confess it – because I won’t let it. If by some terrible mischance (perhaps prompted by a sudden fever or sense of despair resulting from some new revelation of governmental incompetence) we should make an error in a points value or game value, then it is easily changed. Easily – because the upgrades will be managed as online downloads – and I’m imagining a downloadable card format here – so there is no need to endure the tedious tyranny of a printed supplement that won’t be updated for four, six or ten years depending upon some incalculable whim. In other words – yes I know it’s practically impossible to introduce new stuff and get everything exactly right all of the time – so, safety net the feature! Make sure you can change it quickly. Better still get it right and save yourself the embarrassment – but at least you know it can be sorted if necessary.

Again – I have said this before on the DSC forum – balance within the game is best achieved by designing within the parameters of the original design. It helps if you know what those are of course – and I fear that many games do suffer from power creep out of nothing but ignorance. If you understand the basic design parameters: the spread of stats and modifiers, the rigid linking structures that cannot be broken, and soft structures that can; then all you have to do is stick to those guidelines. Break them occasionally and knowingly. Introduce counter-balances to offset factors that take stats out of the ordinary range for a type. Don’t put balancing mechanics into soft mechanics that are mutable by special rules. These lessons and many more beside are there to learn from – so learn from them. Nail down the design parameters at the start – make sure than new additions sit within those parameters.

Okay that’s three basics for balance of kit and upgrades – then there’s the balance between the factions. Hardly fair if one faction leaps out in front and picks up all the joy, leaving the other guys playing a supporting role to the star performer. So what do we do about it? Well, again there are ways and means, some of which come down to the episode design – and by episode I mean the campaign or game – and some of which come down to how the data is collected and applied. I know that this latter subject has roused some curiosity, and I shall come to that in a moment, for now let’s look at episode design.

The real-time universe will run as a series of episodes and the intention is that there will be a number of episodes running concurrently. Some will be designed to last for a good while (whole wars for planets) others will be a single event lasting only a day (raids or assaults) and many others will be somewhere in between. Some of these episodes will bridge to other episodes and some will be stand-alone affairs. Within the major episodes there will be zones or areas that have to be fought over and won by one faction before the next tier is opened up, and that tier might itself lead to a further tier, and so on. It’s a basic tree structure starting with many zones, crunching down to fewer, and eventually crunching down to one and a result. Upgrades and bonuses are available within each tier and within many of the zones – and mostly these will be upgrades that are specific to that episode – so information, tech, allies, or whatever we care to include - which remain as options to players for the duration of that tier or episode. These bonuses are internal to the campaign, and in this case balance becomes a question of campaign design. This is why we aim to start off with short episodes by way of proofing the system. I’m not going to go into detail about the episode structures, except to say that the idea is to sort the factions by priority with the campaign, giving the leading factions preference of choice, but spreading the bonuses around. Upgrades and bonuses that endure beyond the episode – and these will be less common– will be handled online as already described. In addition, in most cases any upgrades won by one faction will, in time, spread to other factions, and this could be activated by results in further episodes, for example.

All right, nearly done here, only one more topic to go and the weary reader can wend his way to bed and a well-earned bout of shut-eye. This one is about the data handling – how do you set this up to make sure that results can’t be manipulated by the players? Well, the short answer is you can’t stop individuals fabricating results if they are determined enough to try. Results will need to be validated by both parties, but no system we could come up with could possibly stop players inventing games and putting in results 100% of the time. No. Now this is something I once found myself discussing with the chap who is in charge of Electron Arts Online RPG development, who is a good friend of mine and whom I have worked with on various projects over the years. So, I says to Paul… for his name is Paul… ‘how do you make sure people don’t try to skew the results’. And Paul looks pityingly upon me and says… ‘you don’t you fool… it’s all in how you sift the data’. And the secret is: one, don’t sift the data the same way all the time but vary the system, and two, don’t tell anyone how you sift the data! So – yes – we won’t necessarily treat all data equally all the time – so trying to manipulate the overall result will be quite difficult. There is also common sense at the end of the day – and there is no substitute for a suspicious mind and a cold eye.

Help us spread the word

We need to make sure everybody knows about us, so we've made some helpful artwork to help spread the word. GoA is all about involving you guys right at the start and our first job is to get us funded! So get creative on it, anything you can think of to spread the word from wandering around your home town with a robot WarDrone suit on (ok, so we haven’t actually made any but a simple cardboard box with the words “I’m a WarDrone – Pledge NOW or my IMTel nano-drones will infect you” will probably work!) to downloading this PDF (http://www.darkspacecorp.com/ks-flyer/), emailing it to your friends and relatives, printing it out and handing it out to literally everyone you come across, you can even get some blue-tak and stick it on the foreheads of shop owners if you like! (apologies if you are actually a shop owner… stick it to a customer’s forehead perhaps? )

Anyway, the point is: If you tell as many people as possible there’s a much better chance of us first: hitting our funding target, and second: hitting some of our stretch goals and ultimately giving you even more cool stuff to play with.

Soeben wurden die 50.000 Pfund erreicht und damit ist der Kickstarter innerhalb von 3 Tagen zu 1/6 finanziert.

Der Kickstarter läuft noch 56 Tage.

Antwort auf verschiedene Fragen und ein Video:

Welcome old and new backers!

Today we have a various bits of information to share with you, first up is a look at some of the upcoming updates we're planning:

Hansa Model - When we announced GoA we also opened up a section in our development forums asking for feedback on Hansa the Exclusive Kickstarter Miniature - in line with our backer development program. I'm glad to say we had a great response with over 77 replies so far and so have initiated work on him. We briefed Kevin White this morning and he will be starting work on the model in earnest on monday. Just like we said we would, we're going to show you the process of development in various updates over the next 2-4 weeks as he creates him. So you'll get to see how Kev goes about creating his great models and get graphic detail on each stage. We're extremely happy to be announcing this so that we can hopefully start to put some minds at ease and actually just can't wait to show you his work!

Turn sequence - Lots of people have asked about how our game plays, so we're about to start sharing with you the various elements we have. We playtested the pre-alpha game last night in John's War room over pizza, and Rick is busy putting the finishing touches to the turn sequence from that session so that we can share it with you. We'll also open up a section in the development forums for you to discuss and feedback.

Custom Army update - there have been a number of questions on how these work, what are the choices etc so we're busy putting together a more detailed description so that you have a clearer picture of what figure options you will have, customisations, weapons and so on

WarDrones - We're going to open up a section in the development forums for you to start discussing these beauties. They will play a big part in our universe so lets get into them

Weekend Service - we've been working round the clock over the last 4 weeks as we prepared for launch and then launched our Kickstarter, all of which has been hugely exciting for us so we haven't even noticed really, but our families have and are starting to miss us a little. So over the weekend we'll still be sending out updates and answering direct questions through KS messages, but you probably wont see us as much on the forums or comments sections. Hope that's ok, it's a marathon this one, no good sprinting the whole race - normal service will be resumed first thing on Monday morning.

Singularity Feeder Special - don't forget if you want a singularity feeder special, we're opening up 100 more of this tier at 5pm (UK time) today!

Ok, so next we have a look at the decision to use D10's over D6's - in video format!

http://vimeo.com/56751403

Vorläufige Sketches die entsprechen den Wünschen der Backer geändert werden können.

http://www.darkspacecorp.com/forum/download/file.php?id=51

Rick Priestley schreibt auf DakkaDakka über GoA:

Yes I have designed a lot of games over the years - in greater part for Games Workshop - but bear in mind I had numerous jobs and roles during my 28 years with the company. For a large part of that time I was either relatively junior (so I worked on what I was told to work on!) or I was too senior (and only worked on side-projects and took no part in the main work of the studio). In between, when I could have worked on anything and pretty much determined what GW made, that was a very short period during which I ran the studio as well as being part of the management team - roughly 1992-1998. Even at the end of that period decisions about what we made were starting to be heavily influcenced by the sales and financial side of the business (rather than the creative side in the studio). Of course, when I was studio manager I also had the studio to manage - so writing games, doing all the support personally, organising all the promotion for a game and doing everything myself wasn't really practical. I had other things to do - like developing the plastic ranges, launching the 'big box' format for games (with plastics for the first time), launching the army book and codex formats (new back then) and such dull stuff as managing production, print, packaging, buying, the licensing team, Warhammer Records (part of the studio!) and even more tedious stuff such as admin, recruitment and so forth. I still managed to design a few games in my spare moments - editions of Warhammer and 40K as well as Necromunda spring to mind.

So - the point I'm trying to make here is you shouldn't read into the fact that I've worked on lots of projects is any indication that GoA is some here today gone tomorrow affair. Yes I have undertaken some historical projects for Warlord - I thought I might as well - I was unable to work on what GW considered 'competing' projects for a period after I left. That was a contractual issue I couldn't do anything about. Historical proejcts were not considered to be competing. Lucky for the Perrys I say!

I see GoA as practically my last chance to do something I actually own - I don't own 40K although I invented it - and I receive no royalties or payments on account of any of the things I created for GW - from games such as WH and 40K to 'IP' such as the Imperium, Space Marines, and so on. With GoA I intend to retain the copyrights as would the author of any work of fiction - for example - and from that I hope to manage an income that will support myself and my wife over the next twenty years (and I'm 54 this year so let's not tempt fate!). I've been designing games and creating worlds since I worked with my friend Richard Halliwell to create the Reaper game in 1977. Beyond the Gates of Antares will be the first thing I've done that I actually own. So - no - I don't intend to give up on it! Sure we might expand the universe with other games - all of which will roll in to the real-time online metagame - but this one is for keeps.

So - committment - yes 100% - and we know there is a lot of hard work ahead and sometimes things won't go as quickly or as well as we'd hope. It is a dream. But it's not a bad dream though I say it myself. With the help of our backers it's a dream I know we make make happen. Please take a look at our website here at Dark Space Corp http://www.darkspacecorp.com/ and back our kickstarter if you can - we're doing really well so far but the more we can raise the more quickly we can move forward with plastics, full online metagame development, extra sculpting and the unending process of support and innovation.

Thanks for reading this far!

Außerdem gibt es einen Einblick in den Rundenablauf:

http://www.darkspacecorp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=143

Infos zu den Fraktionen:

AN OUTLINE OF FACTION FORCES

Concord factions - CoCom strike units are recruited and provisioned by the CoCom and have a military level of equipment - because all Concord fighting troops are volunteers (or in effect mercenaries) they tend to comprise Revers, various types of Pans - mostly from within the Concord but not exclusively - ditto types of Sims - and a significant element of sentient machines notably WarDrones. Concord exploratory and mission specific units are more likely to be mercenary units (effectively warbands or professional hired fighters) and have a more variable but individual level of equipment and fewer sentient machines. NuHu can appear in both - but have a role of 'special advisors' and sometimes as technicians or investigators. For example, a mission might be to accompany a NuHu survey team to a newly discovered world to project it whilst it conducts a cultural analysis of the native population, a bio-assessment, or some such task.

Isorian faction - the Isorians are essentially a breakaway group of the Concord and they are similar in respect of how the forces operate.The difference is that the Isorians have direct contact with a different group of alien and have developed some unique technologies that are incompatible with the Concord (for various reasons - but mostly I think of this as a giant 'software bug'). This includes Isorian phase-armour - which is the basic armour type for the military arm of the Isor.

Freebooters - Shard and ExCon - these are traders, gunrunners, occasional mercenaries, criminal gangs, and working adventurers - in other words guys whose prime motivation is to look after themselves. I have made these two separate factions corresponding to those who work within the Concord and those who don't - but I'm tempted to amalgamate them, as I'm not sure there's enough essential difference. In the meta-game some of the episodes would invite the Freebooters to enter results for one of the other factions -and they would pick up the benefits from the faction they support. This would neatly divide Freebooter factions anyway, and would enable Freebooter players to 'play the field' - making them really mercenary and opportunistic - which I rather like! Anyway - mostly Revers but also Pans, Sims and renegade aliens - some sentient machines but not universal.

Determinate - I currently have this as one faction in the game - but really it's representing a loose alliance of mostly Pan civilisations that maintain their independence outside of the Concord and Isorian Shards. Their forces would be mostly made up of the Pan or Sim type specific to one world - and might have a military or mercenary type of organising depending upon type. The potential here is for a huge number of distinct armies - as well as mixed 'allied' forces for players who prefer to mix - but some of the Determinate forces will be extreme isolationists - such as the Gwar. To start with we'll make models for Determinate forces that are less rabidly specie-ist (is that a word!) as otherwise we have to make very large numbers of models to facilitate play. There is obviously the potential for us to divide Determinate forces into separate factions - but the players can drive that i.e. if enough players want a 'Gwar' faction then the Gwar will go it alone.

Vorl Orde - the Vorl - and most pure alien species - will have forces of that species - these might include mercenary human types in some cases - but not on the whole. The Vorl shock troops are A-G troops (anti-grav) and these are the troops most likely to be encountered in military type conflicts. I am picturing the Vorl as quite a militarised race – divided into a number of Orde which might occasionally fight amongst themselves, especially where the Prime Orde (if that is the term) is weakened in some fashion.

- Rick Priestley

Backer Development Program Update

As you know our backer development program is all about involving you in the process of developing GoA and today we have an update on how Kev is doing making our Hansa model. Before we started the Kickstarter we asked our community what they think he should look like and received well over 70 posts, which we then condensed and merged with our own thoughts and ideas to produced the final brief for Kev. He started work today on the model and he’s kindly provided us with some pics and some of his thought process as he develops the model:

Phase_1_sculpt.png

What do you think? head over to our forums to talk about it

Today's update is all about one of the other species we've found in Antarean space - the Pansimians, or sims for short.

PANSIMIANS - SIMS

When Humans spread out into the galaxy in ages past they did not go alone. They took with them domesticated species, wild animals, plants and entire bio-systems from Old Earth. Worlds were terra-formed or built anew in the form of orbital rings or hollow artificial worlds called spheres. The bio-systems of Old Earth were replicated and adapted throughout the galaxy. By the time that humans had spread, multiplied and diversified into the untold Panhuman species that exist today, another group of intelligent creatures from Old Earth had also joined them. These were the descendants of Old Earth apes. Like Panhumans, their evolution had been transgenically enhanced to some extent, boosting their intelligence considerably as well as adapting them to many different environments. Maybe by the time this happened apes had already gained parallel status to humans as fellow sentient creatures, or possibly they were deliberately engineered to undertake tasks felt too dangerous or too difficult for humans. This all happened in the far distant past, and it is impossible to guess at the motives of those long-dead pioneers of Antarean space. Either way, the Spill encompassed not only human and Panhuman societies but societies of Pansimians †“ commonly called Sims - the descendants of bio-engineered apes.

Today there are numerous Sim worlds throughout the Spill as well as Sim enclaves on human worlds. Sims make excellent fighting troops and can be found amongst even the Concord†™s armed forces. As with the various kinds of humans, most Sims would think of themselves of belonging to a particular species or coming from a particular world. For example, K†™b Ngo is one such world, whose inhabitant belong to two distinct Pansimian populations: the huge warrior K†™bir and the smaller but more intelligent Ngora. Like most Sim worlds K†™b Ngo is an independent world that has loose associations with the Free World Determinate. Unlike most Sim civilisations, K†™b Ngo has settled other worlds and established its own colonies, The K†™b Ngoran Utopica.

The appearance of Sims is †“ if anything †“ even more diverse than that of the myriad human species, but few would be recognisable to their primitive ape ancestors of Old Earth. Some are human enough in appearance they can pass as Panhumans, whilst others are savage and monstrous, creatures whose transgenic DNA has mutated unexpectedly. A few are hyper-intelligent, but none are able to exploit the Concord†™s IMTel technology in the way of NuHumans. This alone makes it difficult for Sim worlds to integrate with either the Concord or Isorian Shard, and most are independent ExCon planets associated with the Free World Determinate. This does not mean they are technologically backward though. Sim worlds vary a great deal in their development, much as do Panhuman worlds throughout the spill.

Individual spare faring Sims mix fairly freely with humans and can be found throughout Antarean space. They are numerous amongst the ExCon Freebooters, where they often form entire mercenary companies. They also fight as part of the Concord Combined Command (CoCom), the Isorian Shard, Shard Freebooters, and Determinate forces. They are mostly stronger and more robust than practically any human species, and include some of the most accomplished warriors in the whole Spill.

We have lots of ideas about what these chaps look like, but we'd really like to hear your thoughts so head over to the forums if you fancy talking about them or even posting a possible concept for them.

Und nochmal Rick zu den Fraktionen:

We'll I've called the different basic groups †˜factions†™ - and remember Rik is from the video games industry where the term gained its currency. I think of them as essentially a point of entry for the player collecting a force - an army list even - and I've worked them around these big political structures to flesh out a backstory. So, though I have six factions set out to begin with, they don't all fit into the backstory the same way.

Concord and Isorian Shard are two big monolithic structures - overbearing - utopias or dystopias depending on your point of view - where humans are freed from all burdens of responsibility and work. Within these huge structures the combat forces are partly machine and partly human - but the human elements are by definition outsiders and fringe members of the society. The faction represents the military arms of those structures - in the case of the Concord the Concord Combined Command - which I usually abbreviate to CoCom - though I'm also using CCC as it's more distinctive on the page - perhaps C3 - anyway - the 'faction' in this case is the Concord Combined Command which identifies threats and opportunities to the Concord within Antarean space and assembles forces to act accordingly.

The Vorl Orde are a classic single-species militaristic alien race - and I included these as an example of the many alien races that exist in Antarean space - some hostile, others less so - I wanted to show form the start that the game and background have aliens. The Vorl are also powerful enough to be a threat to the Concord/Isorian ambitions - competing for new worlds, exploration, and colonies. In this case the faction is the Vorl race †“ although even the Vorl are prone to internal division during times when the Prime Orde falls or is challenged for supremacy.

The Determinate is a cover-all description for a huge swathe of independent worlds and small empires populated by humans of various kinds - it is not a united poitical entry - in fact the only thing that unites it is each world's/empire's desire to retain its independence. The Concord/Isorians are not necessarily aggressive conquerors - but their technology is such that other human worlds they come into contact with become absorbed within the Concord's/Isorian's Integrated Machine Technology network (IMTel). This isn't deliberate or planned - it's just the way the Concord/Isorian societies function - they are like a virus that spreads by integrating the technological basis of other societies they touch. Their separateness arises from a basic incompatibility resulting from a period of Isorian isolation and contact with technologically advanced alien societies whose technology they absorbed in this way. The Determinate faction could easily be any number of factions, but to begin with I wanted to sketch out the broad idea. The backstory also allows for the concept of mixed forces, with different worlds getting together, or single species forces of highly isolationist, zenophobic species.

Freebooters is a coverall description for bands of individuals of all kinds who exist beyond the immediate control of any planetary or larger scale of government. They are not all the same, and they are not all mercenaries as such, some would be traders, explorers and merchantmen plying the gates and turning their hand to whatever opportunities arise. That might include fighting as mercenaries on behalf of the other factions, or banding together with other Freebooters to mount a big raid. I don†™t imagine them as in any way forming an organised political body as a whole †“ they are the glue and the facilitators that ensure trade and technology can move between the Concord/Isorian Shard and worlds within the Determinate. Most of them are ordinary humans, and therefore able to work without the aid of the IMTel that permeates Concord/Isorian societies, so they can move between the nano-sterilizers that act as barriers between IMTel enabled forces and worlds within the Determinate. The faction represents these free agents †“ in all their forms †“ and I identify it as a faction because technology and information is traded freely within it. I initially had these as two separate factions (based out of the Concord/Determinate) but I'm increasingly thinking there isn't sufficient difference to make a clear distinction - so one faction works better.

Of course †“ some of these touch upon or potentially touch upon archetypes which have proven popular subjects for models and games †“ I make no apologies for that †“ I would sooner make models that people want to buy and design games that folks want to play †“ and if that means making provision for the familiar alongside the innovative and outlandish I don†™t see that as a bad thing. Not everyone likes exactly the same thing †“ and the success in any miniatures range and game often rests upon providing a variety of experience both in the model ranges and gameplay.

That's my take on it anyway!

Rick

Hi everyone,

In today's update we have finalised details on our exact miniature range for our 300k min funding level. Once we've hit this (fingers, legs, arms, talons crossed!) then we can get into adding many other figures to the range through stretch goals and we'll be redoing the stretch goals quite soon so that you can see a clearer picture on exactly what they are! I know you've been eager for this list so without further ado:

Custom Army List

NOTE: Each pose or variant is a separate model and costs the same credit amount shown next to model name.

Rever Mercenaries

Revers are old-fashioned humans who form a significant portion of the armed forces of all human factions.

20 Credits - Rever Mercenary with plasma pistol and grenades – 2 poses

20 Credits - Rever Mercenary with plug carbine – 3 poses

30 Credits - Rever Mercenary with fractal cannon – 1 pose

30 Credits - Rever Mercenary Captain with plasma pistol and tech-harness (1 alt parts)

NuHu

NuHu are the masters and most profiles species of the Concord and of the Isorian Shard – but rarely are they seen putting themselves in danger. Those that must are volunteers of unusual temperament and courage for their species. NuHu don’t form units of troopers but specialist individuals within a force.

30 Credits - NuHu Ambassador – 1 variant

30 Credits - NuHu Bio-Surveyer – 1 variant

30 Credits - NuHu Assessor with hypercom harness –1 variant

30 Credits - NuHu Contact Team Leader – 1 variant

CoCom Troopers

CoCom has developed shield-base battle armour fields that afford protection and mobility. These are activated by pack generators and the field is held by light metallic plates attached to the trooper’s battlesuit. These will be Rever types or will have alternate heads representing different Pans and helmets.

20 Credits - CoCom Trooper in battle armour with plasma carbine – 3 poses

30 Credits - CoCom Trooper in battle armour with X-Launcher – 1 pose

30 Credits - CoCom Trooper in battle armour with plasma cannon – 1 pose

30 Credits - Isorian Shard Battle Leader (1 alt parts)

Drones

These include all kinds of sentient machines including WarDrones. All human factions have type of drones and can have WarDrones, although not all factions have equally effective WarDrones.

N/A - WarDrone Plastic set – plastic multi-posed kits with a choice of weapons and head variants.

20 Credits - CoCom WarDrone armed with plasma carbine – 3 variants

10 Credits - Hunter drones – 2 variants

10 Credits - Targetter drone – 1 variant

Algoryn Troopers

The Algoryn Prosperate is a powerful group of worlds within the Determinate and one of the chief enemies of the Gwar. The Algoryn are adapted to high levels of radiation and very hot temperatures, with thick, gnarly skins, dense musculature and bony outgrowths over their eyes that shield them from the radioactive glare of the Algoryn suns. They have a relatively high civilisation level and trade Concord technology through Freebooter traders.

20 Credits - Algoryn trooper with plasma pistol and grenades – 2 poses

20 Credits - Algoryn trooper with plug carbine – 3 poses

30 Credits - Algoryn trooper with plasma cannon – 1 pose

30 Credits - Algoryn Prosperate Captain with plasma pistol and tech-harness (1 alt parts)

Isorian Shard Troopers

The Isorians have developed numerous unique technologies through contact with advanced alien species – amongst these advances is the phase armour worn by Shard Troopers. These will be Rever types or will have alternate heads representing different Pans and helmets.

30 Credits - Isorian Shard Trooper in phase Armour with fractal cannon – 1 pose

30 Credits - Isorian Shard Trooper in phase Armour with X-Launcher – 1 pose

20 Credits - Isorian Shard Trooper in phase Armour with plasma carbine – 3 poses

30 Credits - Isorian Shard Battle Leader (1 alt parts)

Boramites

The Boramites originated in the Boram Asteroid mines of Gar’Xu. They have now spread throughout many of the mining colonies of the Spill and can be found throughout Antarean Space. Boramites are a Panhuman species that is highly dimorphic in nature – with a small subtype a well as a larger ruling caste.

10 Credits - Boramite Miner with mass compactor – 3 poses

10 Credits - Boramite Miner with frag borer – 1 pose

10 Credits - Boramite Miner with core charges – 3 poses

20 Credits - Boramite Overseer with plasma carbine – 2 poses

20 Credits - Boramite Overseer with plasma pistol and chain lash – 1 pose

20 Credits - Boramite Trader with compression carbine – 1 pose

20 Credits - Boramite Engineer – 1 pose Weapon details coming soon!

Head over to the forums to discuss what army type will suit you best

Weapon stats & details coming soon!

@Schusta

Da du ja Nachbar bist.... wenn der KS erfolgreich ist und du mitmachst können wir uns ja auf ein Match treffen ;).

Huch, darauf habe ich ja noch gar nicht geantwortet.

Ich bin mir noch nicht sicher, ob ich mitmache. Ehrlich gesagt, habe ich nicht so viel Erfahrungen mit SiFi-Systemen, dass ich ich mich in die Ausgestaltung gut einbringen könnte. Ich bin Dir sehr dankbar, dass Du alle News hier postest, hätte aber auch auf eine Diskussion auf Deutsch gehofft. Mit meinen beschränkten Spielkenntnissen steige ich nämlich bei vielen der langen, englischen schnell aus.

Jetzt müssen wir dann erst mal Battle for Alabaster spielen :)

Edith: So, jetzt habe ich doch mal alles soweit gelesen. Verstanden? Hm, geht so.

Wenn ich das richtig verstehe, ist das Spiel in eine Art Metagame eingebunden. Diese online weitergesponnene Handlungskern wird durch die Spiele der Community mit entschieden und fortgeschrieben. Dieser Plot hat sogar Auswirkungen auf Regeln und Updates und kann deutlichen Einfluss auf die Komposition der eigenen Armee habe. Ist dem so?

An sich finde ich das sehr reizvoll. Es bedeutet aber für mich auch, dass es in regelmäßigen Abständen Updates gibt und man, will man dran bleiben, dies permanent mitverfolgen muss.

Zuerst dachte ich, dass es sehr schade ist, das scheinbar nur Menschen vorkommen. Aber, zum einen gibt es wohl doch Aliens, zum anderen sind, wenn ich das richtig verstehe, viele der "menschlichen" Rassen so weiterentwickelt / mutiert - wie man auch sagen will, dass sie nicht mehr das 0815 menschliche Erscheinungsbild aufweisen. Das gefällt mir sehr gut.

Hm, es bleibt spannend und bin bin wirklich neugierig, wie die Spielerschaft das Projekt weiterhin unterstützt und darauf reagiert.

Interessant finde ich auch, dass Rick keinerlei Rechte auf seine Entwicklungen bei GW hat. Wobei das ja auch nicht ungewöhnlich ist. Ich kann mir gut vorstellen, dass er jetzt, wie er sagt, auch mal was Eigenes kreieren möchte. Das ihm das auch seine Rente bezahlen soll, ist ja nur nachvollziehbar. Und die Zeit von 92-98 bei GW war schon eine sehr spannende und Produktive. Gerade einige der vielen "Nebensysteme" sind nach wie vor meine Favoriten.

bearbeitet von schusta1328

Mein P250 2018/19 Maltherapie

Mein Sammelthread - Eden, Malifaux, Bushido, Da Clash!, MERCS, M&T, Guildball, 54mm

Das Münchner P3: 1. Teil - 2. Teil - 3. Teil - 4. Teil - 5. Teil

@Rick

Das ist etwas komplizierter und aus gutem Grund nicht öffentlich behandelt worden.

Backer Development Program - Hansa - Part 3 - by Kevin White

Happy Friday everyone!

We've all been working hard listening to the things you've been talking about and are extremely excited to be releasing TWO full updates today. The first is part 3 of Kev's Hansa - which is coming together rather well we think - and the second is... well you'll have to wait a little while for the second one, but we're really very excited by it, so much so in fact that after we'd spent all day filming yesterday we then spent most of the night making sure we could get it to you today.

sculpt_part_03.png

Head over to the forums to let us know what you think.

Early Gameplay video

Hey Everyone!

We recorded this yesterday and got really excited about it so we just had to get it to you today.

http://vimeo.com/57224900

We've used place-holder miniatures, markers and dice - as we haven't built those yet! We've also used small units sizes as it's easier to convey on video what's going on - the game easily scales to bigger sized units and with many more units on the table.

Hopefully you will start to see how fluid the game mechanics are, and head over to the forums to discuss and give us your feedback. We're moving onto the actions and combat status videos right now, so you'll have them soon - thanks for watching!

Rik